At Blake Academy we use Choice Theory. Dr. William Glasser developed this theory of human behavior that explains why people do the things they do. It explains all human behavior. Learning Choice Theoryhelps people understand themselves and better manage the events and people in their lives over which they have no control. Choice Theory also teaches the caring relationship habits. Learning to increase the caring habits, strengthens our interpersonal relationships and increase our happiness and satisfaction. Living our lives with conscious intention of using Choice Theory principles becomes a way of life.
The Ten Axioms of Choice Theory
- The only person whose behavior we can control is our own.
- All we can give another person is information.
- All long-lasting psychological problems are relationship problems.
- The problem relationship is always part of our present life.
- What happened in the past has everything to do with what we are today, but we can only satisfy our basic needs right now and plan to continue satisfying them in the future.
- We can only satisfy our needs by satisfying the pictures in our Quality World.
- All we do is behave.
- All behavior is Total Behavior and is made up of four components: acting, thinking, feeling and physiology.
- All Total Behavior is chosen, but we only have direct control over the acting and thinking components. We can only control our feeling and physiology indirectly through how we choose to act and think.
- All Total Behavior is designated by verbs and named by the part that is the most recognizable.
Learn more about Choice Theory by clicking HERE.